Monday, July 11, 2005

You didn't think I'd have a blog and not do a meme, did you?

Got this off Chocolate and Zucchini.

The Cook Next Door Meme
What is your first memory of baking /cooking on you own?

My grandmother's kitchen in the old house where they lived. Her housekeeper was teaching me how to fry an egg. I remember adding alot of pepper to it.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?

Uh, my grandmothers, both of them. I learnt alot of things from my dad that my paternal grandma made and I started being interested in my maternal grandma's cooking after she died. My dad. Occasionally my mother. But now, mostly stuff from cookbooks that my dad has and also, veg*n cookbooks and chefs. And the internet. Also, Nigella Lawson, her style of cooking anyway.

Do you have an old photo as 'evidence' of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?

No pictures, no one considered a little girl learning to cook as something to be photographed, it was more of that 'good, learn to cook and do your duty' kind of mentality in my mom's extended family.

Mageiricophobia-Do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?

Mmmm. Alot of dishes. 'Traditional' family dishes, chiffon or sponge cakes and also, veg*n cooking, it somehow never turns out well the first time.

What would be you most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?

Most valued. My Grandma's wok. Funny thing to say, but yes, alot of memories are stuck to it and it's cast iron. Most used, the sillicon baking pan I bought, man, it's good. Biggest letdown would be, the funny foam creator thing my mom bought, one AA battery lasted like, five minutes, it made some bubbles in the soymilk, is all.

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like-and probably no one else!

Mmmm. Tofu and chocolate pudding. Only people I know who like it are veg*ns who I meet online, everyone else here thinks it's weird, which is funny, considering how common tofu is. Also, when I was younger, this tuna/egg/kraft cheese combination which I nuked for a minute in the microwave. Ew. And eggs poached in light sugar syrup the way my dad taught me.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don't want to live without.

Wanton noodles with the chilii sauce thing but non of the dead animals. Tempeh goreng. Chocolate!

Your favorite ice-cream.

Mint chip ice-cream and lemon gelato.

You'll probably never eat...

That strange thing my dad makes with fermented rice wine something which is a sick shade of red and has chicken and glass noodles in it. The chicken is boiled so it turns this sick shade of white before taking on a strange hue of red which renders it red but at the same time keeps the original shade of sick white. Blergh!

A common ingredient you just can't bring yourself to stomach

Onions from Subway. The last time I ate them was before I fell sick with gastritis and puked the whole night. Everytime I smell them, I just feel sick all over again.

Which one culture's food would you most like to sample on home turf?

Everything! Haha. Ok, fine, maybe say, something European, that's about as specific as I can get because I want to experience the food culture everywhere.

Any signs that this passion is going slightly over the edge and may need intervention?

Uh, no, because if it stopped, I'd be aneroxic. And depressed. And then I'd need intervention.

Any embarassing eating habits?

Aside from snapping photos of food at Club Chinos? Uh, maybe developing food cravings because I just saw someone eat it on TV or a movie or in a book.

Who would you want to come into your kitchen to cook dinner for you?

OMG. Anyone from the Millemium resturant or the Candle Cafe!

Who's your favorite food writer?

I dunno, I really like them all.

Three people to pass this along to.

Eh, the Goddess, the Genius and maybe my sister. It'd be funky to see how they respond to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home