Thursday, June 30, 2005

Comfort food: Spaghetti Aglio Olio

Having spent the last week in heartbreak, tears and not eating at all because of 'emotional turmoil' (Oh the drama of teen life, even in the late teens.), I've only started eating. By 'started eating', I mean maybe one proper meal a day. And most of the time, that meal is spaghetti Aglio Olio.

For some reason, spaghetti always remains a firm favorite of mine. Maybe it's because in this Atkins crazed times, it's nice to be non-conformist and adore my carbs, especially in the form of pasta. Maybe it's that spaghetti was one of the first foods I learnt to cook in high school and it because the default dish for Home Ec. tests. Maybe it's just that it's pasta. And I love pasta. So the last few days, the garlic and chilies have been crying for mercy. There's something wonderfully carthatic about preparing the ingredients. First, the garlic is to be peeled, smashed with the dull side of a knife and chopped into a mince. Then the chilli padi to be deseeded and chopped. For someone with a broken and disappointed heart, all that smashing and chopping helps. A lot. Even more than a therapist ever could. And then the spaghetti is put to boil. After that, it is drained, the pot is wiped dry and the olive oil poured in, heated and the garlic and chopped chilli thrown in and cooked until I can smell something. I would then salt the mixture to death, as the combination of pasta and olive oil can get scarily bland. The spaghetti is thrown in, along with chopped, dried cilantro and stirred until it's all mixed up nicely. And this is all enjoyed in my comfy clothes in front of the computer or TV while agonizing over if someone is going to prove me right and disappoint the hell out of me or if he will prove the skeptic in me wrong. But the skeptic has been proven right, so it's another few days of spaghetti Aglio Olio for me.

Spaghetti Aglio Olio
Spaghetti for one person
1-2 cloves of garlic
1-2 chilli padis (Depending on how much of a heat freak you are)
2 tbsp olive oil
Generous pinches of salt
Chopped dried cilantro or coriander leaves

The amount of garlic and olive oil used is dependent on how much spaghetti you use. Play it by the ear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home