Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Fast dinner

So the finals are finally over and you would think that with so much time on my sadly unmanicured hands, I would be arsed to make dinners like I used to. No such luck, my friend. With all the time on my hands, I am now even more determined to live the ultimate college student lifestyle completey with the crappy diet of beer, chips and stringy salads. Except that I don't like stringy salads. So it's been instant noodles, chips and Indian. And eventually, the practical side of me steps in and goes all "No, this can't go on, you'll die of malnutrition or stomach cancer if you keep eating like that."

Ok, so maybe I got sick of instant Tom Yum noodles with egg and frozen peas. You would too if you've been eating them for lunch and dinner continously for three fricking days.

So I figure I would revive one of my favourites foods on earth. Pasta. More specifically, spaghetti with tomato sauce. My past attempts to freeze pasta sauce has never ended well for anyone. The sauce froze in large blocks which were too much for one serving of pasta and it never really got used. I had been toying with the idea of freezing pasta sauce in ice cube trays like some people do with baby fod and I figured that if the sauce didn't have too much solids in it, it'll be pretty freezable.

Freezer Friendly Pasta Sauce:
1 large onion, chopped to bits.
1 small can tomato paste.
3 cans of chopped tomatoes in juice.
Olive Oil
Salt, sugar* and black pepper

Heat oil in a large pan. Fry onion until translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir well and simmer. Season with salt, sugar and black pepper.

Spoon the sauce into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen, store in plastic bags for future use. To use pasta sauce, throw frozen cubes into a pan, let the sauce melt. Add seasonings and other ingredients. Top pasta.

* A little sugar takes the sour edge off the tomatoes and allows the salt to do it's work.

Also, I some how found the frozen sauce cubes very, very tasty. Yum. tomatoe sauce popsicles. Just when you thought I couldn't get any grosser.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home