Monday, April 04, 2005

Tofu and veggies

On Sunday evening, my mother and I decided to give eating out a miss and just stay at home to cook dinner. Since I'm a lazy bugger and can't be bothered to do much marketing now that the exams are near, I had some leftover tofu, veggies and shitake mushrooms, pickled lettuce and braised peanuts. So Sunday dinner was just porridge with the works.

Inspired by Martin Yan and my friendly neighborhood coffee shop, I decided to make something braised in vegetarian oyster sauce. So I took out the tofu which had been in the fridge for about a week and had mini ice crystals on the bottom, cut it into cubes and fried it until it turned a lovely shade of gold. Then I smashed a clove of garlic and sliced up about one thumb sized knob of ginger and dug around for more vegetables. I had bought a pack of baby Kai Lan earlier on to make soup so half a pack of that got their stems sliced off and washed. The shitake mushrooms and got washed and sliced and so did one carrot. Roughly one tablespoonful of oil got heated up in the frying pan and the ginger and garlic went in to fry until they got pretty fragrant. The mushrooms, carrots and tofu followed and were joined by a few generous spoonfuls of vegetarian oyster sauce and some more water. I gave it all a stir and let it sit, covered, simmering for about ten minutes. After that, the Kai Lan was thrown in and a little more water added to let it wilt. The whole load got transferred to my very cute clay pot because I didn't have anything large enough to serve the whole thing in. And there it is, dinner. Pretty simple. Except for the amount of cutting involved. And just in case anyone thinks I'm a fan of Martin Yan, I'm not. He's too perky for my liking. And Cantonese is not Chinese, it is a dialect of Chinese but it is not the Chinese Language.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lady Amalthea said...

Yum, sounds like a good, easy meal. Tell me about vegetarian oyster sauce?

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home