Monday, March 07, 2005

Jazz and Grasshoppers

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

What do the two have in common? Well, they're two of my favourite things. My love affair with Jazz started a couple of years ago when I first got my hands on a copy of Norah Jones's 'Feels like Home'. I was hooked, I tell you. Hooked. Then came Jamie Cullum and yet another love affair with singers like Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole, Diana Krall, you get the idea. Those were the people my dad listened to at what felt like ten thousand decibels, when I was younger and I positively hated until Norah Jones came along.

So anyway, this evening, by some wonderful twist of fate, I visited a jazz bar at Boat Quay. A very lovely and cosy jazz bar. Two walls were completely covered in a long couch and there was a small bar seperating the seating area from the stage. Very dark and very nice. Also nice was the view of the river from the window behind me. The exterior of the place looked tacky, but from the moment you step into the stairwell leading from the first storey of the shop house to the second storey, it was nice. And classy. And very inviting.

Tonight was pretty nice. The music was terrific and I got my first taste of a Grasshopper. The alcoholic kind, not of the insect variety. A Grasshopper is basically Creme de Methe, Creme de Cacao and vodka shaken together and served up in a nice little martini glass. There is nothing about a Grasshopper that I do not love. I have a scary addiction to anything which involves the twin flavours of mint and chocolate. You can never go wrong with pairing mint and chocolate together. Even mint flavoured hot chocolate is wonderful. A grasshopper is basically an alcoholic, well, melted alcoholic version of mint-chip ice cream. In my book, that qualifies as heaven.

Grasshopper:
1oz Creme de Menthe
1oz Creme de Cacao
1oz Vodka

Shake all ingredients together with ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Strain into martini glass and consume. Die and go to heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home